Wednesday, December 30, 2009

An Introduction of Sorts

I LOVE home and emergency preparedness stuff!  I don't know why.  I just find it fascinating, and it excites me to learn about it.

 I am in no way an expert, and I want to make that very clear before beginning. 

I have, however, invested extremely large amounts of time doing personal research on the subject. 

That being said, my intent for this blog is simply to organize my material, share my thoughts and opinions, receive ideas and insights from others, and hopefully help to teach or inspire along the way.

For the past year and a half I have been compiling anything and everything I could get my hands on, and started digiziting it all into a sort of 'book'.  The following home and emergency topics are things that I have either already researched, am currently looking into, or have a desire to learn about; and is a pretty good outline of what you could expect to get out of this blog:

* CLEANING AND HYGIENE
 - Water (storage, uses, etc)
 - Home Protection and Avoidance (sewage backup, etc)
 - Supplies List and Uses
 - Toilets and Bathrooms (ready-made, community, composting, etc)
 - Toiletries and Diapers
 - Personal Hygiene (maintaining good health in emergency situations)
 - Protective Gear and Clothing

* FUEL
- Fuel storage comparison and options

* FOOD STORAGE AND PRESERVATION
 - Types of Preservation (canning, freezing, drying, etc)
 - Preservation How To
 - Building your food storage (getting started, maintaining, rotating, amounts, supplies, etc)
 - Storage Conditions and Shelf Life
 - Packaging recommendations
 - Water storage guidelines and purification

* HEALTH AND SAFETY
 - Basic Life Support
 - Techniques and Terminology
 - First Aid (Illness and Injury)
 - First Aid Kits
 - Safety Procedures (evacuation, etc)
 - Emergency Reference Guides (shut off gas, phone number list, etc)
 - Emergency and Disaster kits

* HOME PRODUCTION
 - Cooking and Food (methods, guides, equivalency charts, substitution lists, food safety guidelines, etc)
 - Cooking without Electricity - Ovens and cookers (solar, make-shift, etc)
 - Gardening (watering/planting schedule, soil and fertilizer, plant specific, pests, etc.)
 - Sewing (supplies list, fabrics, basic know how, patterns, etc.)

* PANDEMIC

* WATER

 And of course anything else that comes to mind, or is brought to my attention.  I am always looking for up to date material and information, so any constructive criticism or ideas would be greatly appreciated!  Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment