Saturday, May 22, 2010

Morning Moo's Chocolate Drink Mix


We don't drink a ton of chocolate milk at our house, but if we do, it isn't the pre-made kind you can buy in the gallon jugs.
We usually stick to chocolate powder or syrup.
However, I saw this in the store and thought I'd give it a try.

It was amazing!

Here are the basics (text taken directly from can):

Mixing Instructions:
1. Using the chart below dissolve indicated amount of dry product in corresponding volume of warm tap water by shaking vigorously or by mixing in a blender or mixer.
2.  Add cold water up to desired quantity and chill in a closed container before serving.
3. Proportions may be altered to suit individual taste.

 1 quart: Take 3/4 c. dry product mix with 1 c. hot water.  Dilute with cold water to make 1 quart.
2 quarts: 1 1/2 c. dry product mixed with 1 pint hot water.  Dilute with cold water to make 2 quarts.
1 gallon: 3 c. dry product mixed with 1 quart hot water.  Dilute with cold water to make 1 gallon.

General Directions for Use
Hot Chocolate Drink: Simpoy mix as above substituting hot water in place of cold water.  Tope with marshmallows or whipped cream if desired.

Microwave: To make a single serving of hot chocolate, heat 3/4 c. water (do not allow to boil).  Remove from heat and stir in 1 or 2 heaping Tbsp. of chocolate mix (more or less to suit desired taste).

Dry Toppings: Sprinkle on your favorite desserts.

As a Smoothie: Add 1 - 2 Tbsp. to your favorite vanilla flavored mix.

Ingredients:
Made from can sugar, whey, non-gar dry milk, partially hydrogenated soy bean oil, cocoa, corn syrup solids, sodium caseinate, guargum, mono and diglycerides, salt, dipotassium phosphate, lecithin, Vitamin A palmitate, Vitamin D3 cholecalciferol.
Conatins dairy.  No preservatives.

It also includes recipes for the following drinks: chocolate-cinnamon quick mix, chocolate-fruit jubilee, chocolate-almond supreme, and chocolate malt drink.

So, when you are ready to make some,
you just have to mix the powder with warm/hot water first.  However hot my tap water gets, that is what I use.
Then you mix or shake that up really well, letting it dissolve somewhat, and then fill it up with cold water.
Chill in your fridge for a few hours and you are good.
(Or of course just use hot water for hot chocolate).

Quality Check:
The powder looks just like your regular Nesquick chocolate powder, and it smells sweet and delicious!

Once made, it looks exactly like the store bought chocolate milk.
It does not separate easily, like nesquick and chocolate syrup do (which is another reason why I love it).
And of course the taste is SO GOOD!
Chocolate milk that you buy at the store has a thicker, richer consistency than what you get when you make it at home with regular chocolate powder / chocolate syrup.
Morning Moo's is just like the store bought kind!
It is creamy, thick and oh so delicious!
Seriously, I have tricked a lot of people into trying it and they were shocked when they found out it was from powder!

It is also very good as hot chocolate; I think it tastes very creamy.

How much do you get?
One #10 can makes 20 quarts (hot or cold).
20 quarts = 5 gallons

At first I was worried that I was going to have to add WAY more powder than it called for to make it taste good, and that was NOT true.
I actually altered the amounts, making the powder amount lower than what they recommend, because it was much too chocolately for me.
Which means that for me it actually makes more than 20 quarts.
(I use 1 1/4 c. instead of 1 1/2 c. when making 2 quarts).

How long does it last? / Shelf Life
Instructions say:
Store in a cool dry place.
Can be stored (unopened) up to 10-15 years at temperatures ranging form 55-70 degrees F.
Opened I am guessing around 6 months depending on storage conditions.

Once made, I keep it to the same rule as powdered milk, never drink over a week old (but I am kind of a freak when it comes to milk possibly going bad) so use your best judgement.

How much does it cost?
I bought my can on sale for around $9.
They are regularly $12-15, depending on where you shop.
(You can find this at Macey's, Walmart and possibly Winco).
Macey's will list it for $15 and will occasionally have it on sale for under $10.
Walmart always has it for $12-15.

Is it worth it?
Taste wise, absolutely!

It also doesn't require milk, and it has a great shelf life, which is nice.

Price wise...
It makes 5 gallons, which would cost you $7.50 in milk alone if you got it for $1.50 per gallon.

Just for the chocolate that ends up being $1.50 (if you buy on sale) to $4.50 (if you buy for $12) or $7.50 (if you buy at top price).  Keep in mind it makes enough for 5 gallons, and that is assuming you get your milk at bottom dollar.

The 21.8oz carton of Nestle Nesquik makes 38 1 cup servings, which is 9.5 quarts, or just under 2 1/2 gallons.  I can't remember exactly, but I want to say it was about $5.
So yes... not only does it taste WAY better, it is also cheaper (especially if you buy it on sale)!

** As a side note - my sister recently purchased this product (after tasting mine a while ago), and regrettably told me that it was AWFUL!  I am becoming more and more concerned with Morning Moo's product line.  I haven't done a 'proper review' yet, but I would recommend buying 'Country Cream' Chocolate Milk Powder.  I have had continued success with them.

1 comment:

  1. Great Review! I haven't tried this product but I was hoping that I could search a good review site about it. Thankfully I stumbled upon your website.

    ReplyDelete